Saturday 6 July 2024

The Mummy's Shroud.

Just watched this amazing mummy yarn on Bluray. Blimey,what a treat. I had vague memories of having watched this as a boy. I remembed poor Michael Ripper being wrapped in a curtain and thrown out a window to land in a horse trough. I remembered The Master as played by Roger Delgado lurking in the mummy's tomb spitting curses. ( I said I remembered it, I did not say I remembered it with any precision.) And I remembered Andre Morell ( My favorite on screen Professor Bernard Quatermass.) having his head crushed by a heroic mummified slave. I also remembered that ancient Egypt looked very similar to the planet Exxilon from Doctor Who and Death To The Daleks. As an adult I am able to reason those scenes were probably filmed in the same quarry. Archeologists beware, they could be nearer than is safe to one of the great wonders of the universe. Its a fast paced well acted pulp horror loaded with mummy movie tropes with a quite powerful soundtrack which lends the film an epic quality the production budjet alas could not. Its all ancient curses and archeologists who pry where they are not wanted. With the finacier of the tomb robbing British expedition discovering too late that money cannot buy everything. Michael Ripper really puts in the stand out performance in this film as the down trodden factotum of the sleazy and dishonorable expedition leader. Andre Morrell and his team, who get knocked off brutally one by one, had all the best intentions in the world trying to rediscover the splendour of Ancient Egyypt , but the fact the expedition is bank rolled by dirty money dooms them almost as much as the ancient curse.Theres some very nice character acting from the assembled cast, in major and minor roles, bringing their best game to proceedings. Although some of the ancient Egyptians do look as though they would be more comfortable behind the counter of the mens wear department in Grace Brothers. Heartily recommend this pulpy horror tale from a lost age.