Saturday 6 July 2024

My Lady Judge.

Had not heard of this wonderful mystery tale set in one of the most mysterious regions of Olde Irelande but I am so glad I came across it on a recent book forage in Oxfam books.
I have never been to the Burragh but have seen a documentary and some articles and pictures capturing some of its primal beauty. It struck me as a location that fairly radiates an otherworldly energy, as a region shaped by ancient forces that predate man on this island of ours. Everywhere we find people on this world you also find ground beneath their feet. Yet few bear the impression of the way deep time works than this region of Ireland. The finger prints of deep time lingers in the region, with its silent tributaries of serrated rock, like the wrinkled bros of sleeping gods. It would be easy to accept that life is not welcome there but that notion could not be further from the truth, life does indeed exist there and continues to do so, in abundance. It may not be human life as modernity presents but its a hardy and savage kind of life form that can choose to operate there. One might goes as far as to suggest The Wild Hunt continues there. Cora Harrison does a fantastic job of introducing a wide range of very interesting and real feeling characters in this murder mystery set in a period of Irish history I am completely unfamiliar with. we were never taught history like this in school. We did learn something about the Tudor period in school but barely anything about the history of Ireland. In fact I do not think I have ever read any fiction, much less factual history, set in this era. And for a historical it feels very fresh indeed. I would not hesitate to read more by this author in whatever era she chooses to work.