Saturday 6 July 2024

Rembrandt's Eyes.

Well, I finally tracked a copy of this wonderful book down.I first heard ab out it years ago, at Garth Ennis' stage weekend on Rathlin Island. That sturdy rock in the middle of a night dark sea.I was talking to Dave Gibbons about his Doctor Who comics. Stories so good they transcendthe medium they originally appeared in, adapted as audios and even television. Stories which I felt were so good they felt like ones I had experienced on the small screen as opposed to black and white comic strips in Doctor Who weekly. At some point we moved on to other things and he mentioned this verey book. Describing how Rembrandt narrated his own life through a lifetime of self portraits. Recording not only the world he lived in as well as how he looked in that world.He talked about Rembrandt a bit, some of his ups and downs and really brought the man and his work to life. I determined to pick up a copy as soon aas we got back to Belfast. Only when I did track it to a Belfast bookstore I realised it cost as much as a weeks grub for me so I settled for a nice Thames and Hudson collection. Still, I hoped someday to find a copy I could afford and now I have. Mine to read at leisure and how to see the world through Rembrandt's eyes.Which might also be as interesting as seeing it through Dave Gibbons eyes.