Tuesday 18 June 2019

She.

...found a lovely copy of The Hammer film She, a classic adaption of the H Rider Haggard story. And it really is a classic production (To me, anyway.) It is so well made, great and ambitious direction(By Robert Day.), superb soundtrack( by James Bernard.) and a really great cast. Saw it so many times growing up, even on days when I really should have been at school. My ma and da were a bit lax when it came to school attendances and we did run foul of the authorities on occasion.
           I have watched this film at different stages off my life and over the course of it I have identified with different characters during those stages. For instance, when I was a boy I really identified with the butler/batman character Job as played by the wonderful Bernard Cribbins. He is clownish but loyal and brave. What boy would not want to exhibit those fine qualities. When I hit my teenage years and hormones began to ping pong around my system like an organic pinball machine i was drawn to handsome lead Leo as played by the handsome lead John Richardson. Not really identifying as such but admiring how damn fine he looked in Kallikrates robes. And off course as this grey haired stage of my life I find myself drawn to Holly as played by the magical Peter Cushing, the pipe smoking Indiana Jones senior prototype. Peter creates an iconic turn as the major/prof and as usual never fails to deliver less than one hundred per cent. there you go, three stages of life played out in one film.
            Great set pieces, a boys own yarn with a sexy undercurrent. It also contains memorable turns by Christopher Lee as the ambitious and cruel high priest Billalli and Andre Morell (My favourite Bernard Quatermass.) as the father of poor doomed Ustane, Rosenda Monteros. Ursula andress delivers a career high as the mad undying queen Ayesha. Its a classic adventure tale, with mysterious desert tribes, lost civilizations and a band of brothers on a wild ride.
             Such stories, such friendships should last forever.
             As captain Jack Sparrow once said" The world is not getting smaller, theres just less in it."
             Or was it Basil Brush who said it?