Tuesday 18 June 2019

Eerie Weird And Wicked.

Nope, those are not my middle names but is in fact the title of an anthology of weird stories I found recently, on a book jaunt. Its a curious volume to be sure and that is surely  down to the oddly disturbing cover image, of the death drape. The cover and interior artist Alex Brychta provides a quiet back drop to a string of tales that straddle genres.
           There are twelve stories within from writers I am not so familiar with as well as a couple I am most familiar with. A couple of names who often pop up in horror or ghost story anthologies; Algernon Blackwood and Robert Bloch. never a bad thing to see these two gentlemen's names in a collection. It has become interesting to me to avoid knowing who writes what in these collections. In order to prevent myself bringing any baggage to proceedings. Tricky off course, as one often finds the titles and the contributer's names sitting next to each other but I have never felt it difficult to avert ones eyes. Its a catholic thing...
             Probably.
             Sound nice contributions here and it was a collection I found myself passing through quite quickly, enjoying the different textures of the pieces within. Until I got to a story called The Tibetan Box by Elizabeth Walter, a story I enjoyed so much I started reading it again as soon as I finished. The three main characters are three old ladies and their nemesis is an ancient and very cruel Tibetan demon. Its a very arcane tale with some lovely observational characterization, with the three leads very believably realised in a situation where they face terrible danger., its actually quite shocking and even moving by the end.
            And then the same thing happened again with the last tale in this dozen of weird tales. Another story which I plunged back into almost as soon as I finished; First Dig by Miriam de ford, a Shakespearian science fiction (a couple of words that do not normally go together.) treat.
              Its a nice collection which delivers what it promises.
              Eeerie, Weird and Wickedly good.