Wednesday 31 May 2023

Red Shift

Emrming from a memory fog, almost perfectly shaped, this Alan Garner paperback brought back such memories.I remember seeing it on a shelf in Harry Halls bookstore many years ago. Only in my memory I saw it as a lighthouse rather than the folly it actually was. a folly in all but memory I suppose.I first saw the BBC adaption of Red Shift quite some time ago also.It was concieved during an era of great experimentation and innovation on the BBC. An organisation at the height of their creativity, brave and uncompromising. With the power to punch a viewer right in their sensibilities, so to speak.It is quite a complex story, taking place in three eras, with an axe head proving a thread through time as it takes the long path, and we the viewer jump back and fourth.A lot of the complexity comes from the complexity of the dialogue and its differences in the eras used. Rather than from the visually straight forward time shifts. You will not have any problems following this aspect of the stories in play, it has more to do with the tonal shifts in verbal interplay between characters. Especially the modern era, which by now feels a period piece, a story set in a summer long ago, so much time having passed since its original transmission.The soundtrack composed for the play also feels quite period. not dated but from another era. Think Teardrop Explodes, early Bunnymen or The Sound or The Chameleons. Or maybe thats just what I was listening to at the time, showing the world my musical unconcious bias. Enjoyed the book which I read in an old paperback version that smelled like old Smithfield. Not sure what to make of the ghost of a note I found on the inside back cover... Dont think it was meant for my eyes.