Monday 1 September 2014

The Dragon At the Foot Of My Bed.

(From my sketch book) I have been recovering from surgery. Just getting one of my wonky legs fixed. Look what showed up at the end of my bed late one night. I opened my eyes from a deep sleep and tried not to act as if there were anything to get alarmed about, feigning a quiet middle of the night casuality, as you do. It did not speak or make a sound mirroring my own casuality. Jet black eyes challenged me to hold its stare.            GO RIGHT AHEAD. YOU WILL NOT WIN. I WHO HAVE HELD A STARING CONTEST WITH THE MOON. THE PALE COMPANION BLINKED FIRST.
             I do not believe lizards communicate by speaking but the words were there and as I said it did not speak. The words were just there, the way air is. The ward was very quiet, it was the early hours, although I could hear the oxygen machine used by the poor old guy in the bed next to me. The man in the bed opposite turned restlessly in his sleep and mumbled something( I suspect he was mumbling TOMORROW BELONGS TO ME as he had been showing me photos earlier on his phone of his prized knife collection including his favorite; a Hitler Youth knife.)   I could also hear the night nurses going about their duties and some instinct told me they were not seeing this visitor. This visitor from the lost world. The one that sits next to ours waiting to be found. Was this a visit from Blake's Ghost Of A Flea? Or just another Beast from my Id I asked myself. In complete control of my inner monologue if not my visual cortex. They do come stomping out occasionally baffling me with their unnatural gaits and their otherworldly inflections. Like people from Greenisland or Doagh.
             I dozed off without saying anything but came around to find a nurse checking my fluids and my blood pressure.
             YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THAT AGAIN NURSE. I AM PRETTY SURE I JUST DIED FOR A FEW MOMENTS AND HAD A VISITOR FROM HEAVEN.
              She smiled and her face became a beacon of understanding.
              GONNA HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR CATHETER BAG, HONEY, THIS ONE IS GONNA BURST.