Wednesday 15 November 2023

Fishing For Friends.

While checking the latest Doctor Who news I came across this lovely old pic of Colin Baker which I found quite touching. For all his bombast and bravado he looks like a lonely wee boy in his best clothes, which nobody ever compliments him for, fishing from an impressive stoneworked bridging. Fishing above a dirty stream with no fish but filled with tyres, shopping trolleys and the tossed away detritus of a society that does not appreciate how good its got it. Yet only Perry and Mel gave him a chance to demonstrate something other than misjudged brusqueness.It was Big Finish which really gave Colin Baker the chance to shine, which he did, brightly.Paired with the loveable Maggie Stables as Evelyn the two chums proved themselves one of the very best Tardis teams. Honestly, give them a listen. Sweet is not a word I use an awful lot. I have heard it misapplied so many times I think I subconciously avoid using it. Yet I would apply it with regard to the above picture. Sweet, loud,brave and colourful and desperately wanting to find a friend. Silly Doctor. Look about you.