Tuesday 17 September 2019

Never The Bride.

Came across this Paul Magrs 9Published by Headline) during one of my recent book haunts.I was looking around for something to take away with me during my week in the country. Something surprising, as I already had a couple of pieces set aside for my book bag. And I found a copy of Never The Bride. Did not even bother to read what it is about, the author's past work was more than enough to risk picking up this copy. I love his Bafflegab work, channeling Tom baker and creating these hilarious and sometimes quite touching situations at Baker's end. I can only imagine the surreal conversations that must take place between him and Tom baker when it comes to each new adventure down Baker's End. It must be like taking the Magic Roundabout to the homeworld of The Clangers.
          Now that I have finished the book I now realise that was not a leap into the dark but a blind folded bounce into a very familiar and cosy old bed. Wait til you find out who The Bride of the title is, fantastic stuff. It is all set in the town of Whitby too. What a stunning location for such a yarn, just the perfect back drop, forever framed against the restless sea, starkly beautiful, raw in both sea and sky. The first place in England Dracula touched down upon leaping from the doomed Demeter one dark and stormy night.
            Gothic literature was never the same afterwards...
            And this book by Paul Margs deserves to sit in close proximity to Bram stoker.